Mike,
    The risk of sleep attacks was first reported at the 1999 American
Academy of Neurology Conference, and an article about it was published in
the June 1999 issue of Neurology. According to the most recent PDF
newsletter, warning notices about the possibility of sleep attacks while
driving, are being sent by SmithKline Beecham  who produce ReQuip, to
doctors in the U.S. Similar letters have already been sent by
Pharmacia&Upjohn, makers of Mirapex. There has been some recent
discussion (and jokes  :) on the list about this topic - you'll find
postings in the Archives.
I don't recall seeing anything  so far about  a driving ban being
proposed in the US.  I am currently in the process of increasing my
Requip dosage and have not had problems with sleepiness, except for the
first few weeks when I started taking Requip over a year ago. However,
the reported sleep attacks came on suddenly, and are differnet than just
feeling drowsy.
  Just last week I spoke to my neuro about the warnings, and he said that
based on the number of reported cases so far, and my own experience with
the medication, he believed it was okay FOR ME to continue taking it, and
to continue driving. But each patient is unique and each doctor has their
own opinions about this, I'm sure. I think the best advise is to discuss
your situation with your doctor to reach a decision.

Linda Herman