Dear Listmembers:

----- Original Message -----
From: Jackie G. <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2000 6:16 PM
Subject: Off Time, describe feeling?

>Bob did have right side STN DBS on January 13th.  The doctor
only has his power up >to 1.8.  That is as high as they would
turn it on our first post op visit.  We will go back on >2/28 and
hopefully the Dr. will turn it up to 3 (that is what they needed
in the OR).  They >do things slowly down here in FL!

Here are some notes and things to remember about stimulator
settings for those that are new to the experience.

1.  The net result of the stimulation is the "sum" of the
stimulation AND the medication you are taking.  You may have to
adjust your medication, perhaps on a daily basis, to match the
stimulation (same as before).  You may eventually take your
medication "by feel"--- how you feel.

2.  Keep notes of your daily condition.  You experience it 24
hours a day ---- your doctor does not.

3.  Under-stimulation can cause "off" times.
Over-stimulation can cause "off" times.

You have on/off control of the stimulators with the magnet.  If
the stimulation does not seem to be effective turn off the
simulators and make notes of whether your condition gets better
or worse AND how quickly your condition changes --- time it.

Turn on the stimulators and AGAIN take notes of what happens.

4.  Continuous vs. Intermittent stimulation

THIS IS BASED ON OUR EXPERIENCE of nearly 2 years and does not
agree with the experience of other patients.  But I think it
needs to be considered as an option.

We found, shortly after surgery, that constant stimulation caused
"off" times and freezing.  Shutting off the stimulators resulted
in improvement of movement for a time.  Turning the stimulators
off and on would result in a better result.

We asked a lot of questions and found that the Medtronic
stimulators can be programmed to turn on and off automatically.

We eventually came up with the following timing scheme:
Stim #1 ---- ON for 15 seconds;  OFF for 30 seconds.
Stim #2 ---- ON for 15 seconds;  OFF for 30 seconds.
Turn Stim #1 ON
Turn Stim #2 ON about 23 seconds later

The result is:
Stim #1 ON for 15 seconds
No stimulation for 7 to 8 seconds
Stim #2 ON for 15 seconds
No stimulation for 7 to 8 seconds
(cycle then repeats itself)

Each side is stimulated only 1/3 of the time.  But, because of
"cross-talk" there may be some stimulation to the other side
(same side the stimulator is installed) of the body.

(There are numerous other options)

We have found that, in Steve's case, EVERY setting using
continuous stimulation began to deteriorate by day 6 or 7.  The
same setting using intermittent stimulation could work
effectively for several months.

This is our non-medical opinion of why this is effective.  (We
had one doctor comment about whether this was medicine or
engineering)  Anyway, the brain is a very "plastic" organ that is
continuously "learning" and attempting to maintain an
"equilibrium".  It has learned how to "cope" with the PD
condition.  When you insert stimulation into the "equation" the
brain attempts for finds a "work-around" for the change.

IF the stimulation is continuous the brain can work continuously
to find that "work-around".  BUT, if the stimulation is
intermittent the brain is continually interrupted in its "search"
and can not work out a solution.

Therefore ---- the intermittent stim setting lasts longer than a
continuous one.

5.  The medicine you take affects BOTH sides of the body.  The
stimulator affects only ONE side.

The medicine affects each side of the body differently because of
the differences in the way PD has progressed.

A dose that works effectively for the non stimulated side may not
work effectively for the stimulated side.  Therefore, after you
find a dose that works well on the non-stir side you will have to
attempt to adjust the stimulator to that level of meds.

The advantage of 2-sided stimulation is that you have more
options to achieve that balance.

6.  Remember, your PD symptoms will continue to progress with
time (the same as with meds only).  That advantage of electronic
stimulation is that you can change settings as the disease
changes.  Other surgical procedures do not afford you that
option.

==
I have witnessed first-hand the stir setting procedure (US style)
for nearly 2 years now and could write a book.  It has been quite
an experience.

The results have been UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!   BUT IT IS NOT A
CURE!!!!!!!!!!!  The patient still has PD.

Paul Fahr