My mom (68, diag 64) has been diagnosed with Parkinsonism with her
neurologist leaning more towards Parkinson Plus (corticobasal ganglion
degeneration - CBGD).  She is experiencing some new trends lately that I
have not heard discussed before as long as I have been a member of this
list.

The first is tongue tremors.  As far as I can tell, she has started this
- or at least it has become louder and more distinguishable - in the
last 4 months or so.  At first I thought her teeth were chattering, but
as I investigated, I saw that her tongue was actually in a tremor, much
as her hand goes into . . . up and down tremors.  I am trying to track
it more often, but it "seems" to be a constant involuntary activity.
This does not affect her eating.

The second issue is her tendency to go into fits of hitting.  Once she
becomes anxious, nervous, bothered, etc., she does go into periods of
severe mood swings, directing them at both myself and my father - her
care providers.  These mood swings completely changes her attitude, she
becomes irate and irritable at both of us for no reason - everything we
do is wrong.  She may go into uncontrollable fits of crying for periods
of time, and occasionally, stops crying to laugh, then goes back to
crying.  When she is in this state, she is starting to hit out at anyone
close to her.  These are not "soft" hits, but are intentional and direct
- aiming for parts of the body that will hurt.  When she sees the hits
dont hurt, she will make every attempt to pinch or whatever.  (There is
no problem of this getting out of control at this time.)

I am just trying to see if anyone else in the list has experienced this
or knows anything about this stage of the disease.  Hopefully, someone
will have some clue as to what is going on.

This is a good and I have learned a lot from being on it.

David
46, full time caregiver
Louis
73, full time caregiver (2 heart attacks since this all started)