		---------- Forwarded message ----------
		From: Tuchman Margaret <[log in to unmask]>
			****************************

	A CURE CAN BE FOUND FOR PARKINSON’S DISEASE WITHIN 5 YEARS!
	What is The Parkinson Alliance’s role in reaching this goal?

Based on the success of the first year of our operation and
the unprecedented convergence of positive events taking
place, The Parkinson Alliance decided to march boldly
forward. There are many good reasons for optimism and choosing
to be active participants in the battle.

Ø	Science is ready: Halting the progression of the disease,
restoring lost function, and even preventing the disease are
all realistic scientific goals. These hopes are fueled by
the accelerated pace of discovery in neuroscience research,
by advances in understanding what causes Parkinson’s, and by
a wide variety of new treatments on the horizon, including
stem cell transplants, precision surgical repair, chronic
brain stimulation, and natural growth factors, to name a
few.
Ø	The government is ready:  The National Institutes of
Health was requested by the House-Senate Conference
Committee on Appropriations to “consult closely with the
research community, clinicians, patient advocates, and the
Congress regarding Parkinson’s research and fulfillment of
the goals of the Morris K. Udall Parkinson’s Research Act.”
This has been THE goal of our entire advocacy.
Ø	National Institutes of Health is ready:  At a landmark
meeting in November 1999, the directors and staff of the
major components of NIH conducting Parkinson’s disease
research worked together with patient advocates and
initiated a planning process to ensure that extraordinary
opportunities to move toward a cure are not neglected and
that critical obstacles to progress are addressed. On
January 4-6, 2000 a Workshop including scientists and
representatives from several Parkinson’s advocacy groups
discussed an agenda for Parkinson’s research that will
direct the course action for the next few years.
Ø	The general public is ready:  Riding the publicity – media
exposure of Michael J. Fox’s announcement has provided the
instant recognition that we sorely need. The public’s
awareness of our plight is fuel for our progress. And it is
a public/private partnership that will be required to
support the expanded and targeted research enterprise we
must undertake.
Ø	Dr. Gerald Fischbach, the distinguished director of NINDS
is committed to the view that an initiative on Parkinson’s
and related neurodegenerative disorders must be launched
because the opportunity for a breakthrough is so great. And
in particular, because Parkinson’s is a relatively simple
condition – the chance of significant discovery within the
next five years is very likely.
Ø	Further, Dr. Fischbach commends the efforts of private
organizations funding pilot seed money grants for
investigators to accumulate preliminary data for NIH grant
applications. This method of assisting researchers needing a
quick, short-term money source can best be accomplished by
non-federal entities. Additionally, private groups can more
easily interact with corporate, and non -profit foundations
to increase their funds and thereby distribute more pilot
grants.

The Parkinson Alliance is in a perfect position to fill this
role.

Ø	We have built a relationship with each of the major
Parkinson’s organizations. And through our joint efforts
with The Tuchman Foundation, we serve as a hub for
fundraising, helping to meet the challenge that The Tuchman
Foundation offers to leverage the total funding amount the
organization may apply towards pilot study seed grant
programs. During 1998-1999, 1.4 million dollars were devoted
to 48 grantees and the plan is to increase this amount to 2
million this year.
Ø	The Parkinson Alliance has been utilizing the tools of
partnering and challenge grants.
Ø	The major Parkinson organizations, APDA, PDF and NPF have
opened their doors and are ready to continue to target money
for pilot seed grant applications.
Ø	The Unity Walk and the PA are jointly sponsoring Team
Parkinson, one of the charities involved in the LA Marathon.

What about the Parkinson community? The PWPs, our Carers and
children? Our friends and the community we live in? We must
also be ready! Our dollars and those raised in our towns can
make the difference. THE PARKINSON ALLIANCE CHALLENGE is
offered to all donors. This means that if a donation of $500
is made, $1,000 is targeted for pilot study programs.
Through the support of The Tuchman Foundation, the PA’s
administrative costs are capped at 15%.

The Alliance has initiated a focused fundraising campaign
that is directed to the individual, groups, small business
and corporation. We are doing a mass mailing and are in the
process of finalizing steps for fundraising events in
upstate New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Kentucky and
California. We are prepared to offer guidance and help with
start-up costs for any event that commits to raise funds for
pilot study seed grants.

--MAKE APRIL, PARKINSON AWARENESS MONTH, A GREAT SUCCESS----
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE PARKINSON ALLIANCE CHALLENGE-Any Time

--------------DOUBLE THE VALUE OF YOUR DONATION-------------

-----------------Would like to run a local event -----------
We have  “menus” and “recipes” to select the right event for
your circumstances.

Send your checks & Inquiries to:
The Parkinson Alliance
211 College Road East