Chris....

This isn't a "which brain surgery's the best CONTEST!"  Because I
shared my OWN experience doesn't mean I was putting down anyone
else's experience with a different surgical experience.

I had my pallidotomy in 1994, prior to ANY kind of DBS being
available in the USA (where I happen to live) except as a tightly
FDA-controlled experiment.

Also at that  time DBS, being experimental,  was not financially
covered by ANY medical program, including Medicare or one's HMO -
a major deterrent against anyone jumping up and running out to
immediately pop for brain surgery!

And ya know what?   Maybe in 5 or 6 (or 8 or 9) years folks will
look at DBS and say "You had THAT archaic procedure?   Geee....
for $1.95,  with a little tweak of a gene while in utero there are
hasn't been a new case of Parkinson's in YEARS!"

Let's just hope that a the same time, those who already have PD
will be able to get a "tweak," too!   And HECK - I'D be willing to
pay out-of-pocket up to at LEAST $20 or even $30 along with the
"tweak!"

Barb Mallut