Howdy Inkshedders,

        Registration information, the registration form, a preliminary program,
formal letters of acceptance for program presenters, etc.was given to
Canada Post today for delivery to all CASLL members (using the newsletter
address list) and program participants.  We are also having some
difficulty, temporary I trust, getting this information onto our Writing
Centre web site.  My sincere apologies for not making this happen a month
or six weeks ago.

        The most crucial bit of information is that our stately pleasure boat will
leave Granville Island at 4:30 p.m. SHARP on Thursday, 11 May.  Or should I
just lie and say it is leaving a 4:15?  Either way, if you're planning to
arrive in Vancouver on the 11th, it would be prudent to find a flight
scheduled to reach the Vancouver airport by 2 p.m.  (As for those of you
who prefer living dangerously to being prudent . . . .)  The boat should be
at the dock from 3 p.m. for those who want to drop their luggage and visit
the wonderous Granville Island.

        If you are arriving earlier than the 11th or leaving later than the 14th,
we are recommending three relatively inexpensive options:  HI's Vancouver
Downtown Hostel (rates start at $20/nite, www.hihostels.bc.ca), the YWCA
Hotel (from $51, www..ywcahotel.com), or the renowned Sylvia Hotel by the
English Bay beach near Stanley Park (www.sylviahotel.com).

        The mailing includes a preliminary program, which I am happy to report is
already being changed slightly.  Happily, Mary-Louise Craven and Leslie
Sanders will be joining us and will be presenting on "Towards argumentative
hypertext:  an examination of students' online work."  (This may mean
moving a couple of other presenters to different time slots, but we are
still following your instructions that the time reserved for discussion and
inkshedding is inviolate.)   Lest anyone fear for their morning coffee-and,
we will also be updating the preliminarhy program to include breakfasts
(not just lunches and dinners)

        The tourism web site for Bowen Island is <www.bowen-island-bc.com>.

        On Bowen Island, the primary conference accommodation will, of course, be
at the CNIB Bowen Lodge by the Sea.  If you buy the full package (3 nites
lodging, 9 meals, including some wine & beer), the cost is   $299 (Cdn) +
$20 for transportation to and from Bowen + $70 conference fee ($35 for
students).  As usual, we expect there will be further subsidies for
graduate students; as usual, we won't know how much until we count our
pennies after the conference.  A variety of meal packages are available at
various prices for those who may not be staying at the conference site
itself.

        Backup accommodations, which you will need to reserve yourself, are
available at the nearest B&B, Lodge at the Old Dorm (Phone [604] 947-0947;
Fax 947-0547; email: [log in to unmask]; Web site
www.vancouver-bc.com/olddorm).  Other B&B's, somewhat farther, but still
within walking distance include:

ON THE SEA B & B
Phone 947-2471

ORCHARD B & B
Phone 947-2183 / 947-0550; Fax 947-2182; E-mail [log in to unmask]

SEASIDE REFLECTIONS
Phone 947-0937; Web site at www3.bc.sympatico.ca/SeasideReflections

SEQUOIA COAST GUEST COTTAGE
Phone 947-0485; Web site at www.bowen-island-bc.com/SequoiaCottage

UNION STEAMSHIP COTTAGES & SUMMER HOUSE
Phone 947-0707; Web site at www.steamship-marina.bc.ca

If after you receive the conference materials, you still have questions
about registration, accommodation, etc., please contact SFU Conference
Services ([604] 291-3420; e:mail [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]).  If
you have substantive questions about the program and such, please feel free
to email me ([log in to unmask]).

We look forward to welcoming you at Inkshed 2000.

Rick Coe
(for the program/organizing committee)

(Prof.) Richard M. Coe
English Department