Jim,  I  am not   an experienced  novel teacher,   but my students  in a
course  about   the study of langugae"  really  enjoyed reading  "Fugitive
Pieces" by anne Michaels,  it is  Canadian,  very language oriented, poetic
and   emotional.

Other Canadian novels students  like seem to be "Beloved" ;  The Jade
Peony,  The English patient" and "Green Grass Running Water",

this is based on  courses currently being taught at SFU, and discussions
with other instructors about  what is  engaging interest.

my sense, is that students  now  are looking for more local  writers
regional writers,  they like  complexity  and social issues,  and  do not
want to be  taught  the same old stuff.   I like  these novels  because
they can be  read on many levels,  and re-engaged at   later years, but
they do take up issues of narrative, history, memeory,  non- unitary forms
of language,  ethics and also challenge the "genres" of auto-biography,
voice and  literture, mixing  lots of genres.

what  do you think?

kathryn

  and  talks a lot about  la