It is so sad to hear about your family's situation centering around your
father's illness.

The most important thing to understand is that, whatever is happening, it is
not under your father's control. He is ill, demented.  You and your mother
should try to change your perspective if possible - the problem is not your
father - the problem is your father's illness.  If he could, he would
behave, cooperate and be his old loving self.  He can't, he is sick.  His
illness has affected his brain to the point that he has decreasing control
over his own behavior and bodily functions.  He is not to be blamed,
scolded, rejected.  Do your best to care for him with love.

Caring for him will be frustrating, and anger provoking, and sometimes even
physically impossible.    When things reach this stage, families may need
outside help beyond what the neurologist is able to do in the office by
adjusting medications.  You may need a sitter at home;  you may need a
nurse;  or you may need to consider placing him in an extended care
facility.  The choice often depends upon the desires of the family and the
financial resources and insurance available.

It is important to care for the caregiver.  Your mom needs all the help and
emotional support she
can get.  Some of that care may be providing her some "respite" on a regular
basis - in which she is able to leave the home and have some entertainment
of substance - without worrying about your father, or taking him with her.

Ultimately, she needs help making decisions for the long term care of your
dad.  She may need counseling to help her deal with her anger and guilt
feelings.  It is very likely that the neurologists office can refer her to
appropriate social services to help her plan - but she will need the support
of the family for the decisions she needs to make - such as placing your
father in a nursing home.  Remember and remind her that if the current
situation persists, it threatens HER health too.

Jorge Romero, MD