On  1 Mar 00 at 2:54, Ivan M Suzman wrote:

> Hello  Canadian news-watchers..... questions come
> to my mind:
>
> Have dopaminergic substantia nigra cells been grown from stem cells?
>
> How available is human brain tissue anyway?
>
> How does one become well-qualified  to acquire a bit of someone else's
> brain?
> Are there ethical or spiritual questions that have an impact on this?
>
> Ivan
> :-)

Hey Ivan....  Read Judith's post again....  The way I read it this is using
your own brain cells and just movin' 'em around to where they might do
some good.

So...  Have dopaminergic substantia nigra cells been grown from stem cells?
This article was not that specific so I think ... No, not yet.

How available is human brain tissue anyway?
Hopefully, we are all able to donate a few "seed" cells, we each have
billions.   ('specially if it's fer "us")

 How does one become well-qualified  to acquire a bit of someone else's
 brain?
I think the intent is to use your own brain cells - no rejection etc.

Are there ethical or spiritual questions that have an impact on this?
I'm sure some will view it as tampering, some as a God send...

The reality is that, if (5 years down a shaky road) they are able to
follow this laboratory "breakthrough" with successful clinical trials,
leading to successful surgeries, we may well have another tool to treat
brain malfunctions.

My great aunt had Parkinson's in the '40s and was institutionalized without
treatment, without Parkinson's meds, (there were none) without any surgical
options, (there were none) and passed away mercifully way before her "time".

Half a century later, I take my meds and go to work every day and have a
"quality of life" that she would have welcomed.

Now we are blessed with many options and each month there are new
announcements that help us believe we will eventually see even better
times.

I personally think this is great news but I'm a realist and cells in the dish
don't mean a cure yet.

Keep the good news coming Judith...

All the best .......................... murray

ps: I think there's a perspective lurking in the above, Jenn