On 6 Mar 00, at 10:52, Beverly Forte wrote:

> ..... I have done very well these 8
> years, especially as a single parent, self-employed writer. I even
> finished a Ph.D. in psychology during this time.

It's wonderful that you have remained positive and productive.
Some pwp's just crawl down a hole and hide.

> My interest is renewed in finding out how others have progressed
> after diagnosis. I want to locate a database, if it exists, of
> actual progression of indiviuals not projections by doctors. Also,
> PD patients have such a variety of clusters of symptoms, I would
> like to find information showing the differences in actual
> progression by these subgroups.

There is interest in starting a PD patient registry. I have not found
any classification of idiopathic PD into subgroups that go beyond
PD which starts with tremor vs. that which starts with stiffness and
bradykinesia.  Projecting based on average progressions, to the
degree that it applies, would sure be useful for making plans.

I was diagnosed in 1990 and belong to the tremor subgroup.  In the
last 2 - 3 years or so, and especially during the last one, instead of
taking my pills according to my meal schedule I have had to switch
to taking my meals according to my pill schedule.  I'm now very
sensitive to effects of dietary protein and fat.  That seems to be a
new major stage, at least for me.

I don't know what the next stage will be.  Balance trouble?  I
sometimes wonder if and when dementia will set in -- and my wife
wonders how she will recognize it compared to me now ; -)

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 62/dx 1990