Hello Patricia,

Parkinson's Disease Plus (PDP) is an "offshoot" of the regular Parkinsons - or so
it seems to me.  PDP is also referred to as Multiple System Atrophy (MSA).

My mom has almost been diagnosed with Cortico BasalGanglia Degeneration (CBGD) a
sub-category of Parkinson's Plus.

I recommend that you read a "Differential Diagnosis of PD and Parkinsonism Plus
Syndromes" at:
http://www.ionet.net/~jcott/homepage/archive/091.html
This was authored by Mark Stacy, MD & J. Jankovic, MD and very informative.

A lot of what you are saying is symptomatic of what you have sounds like CBGD.
This is a rare form of Parkinsons and there is not much information out there.
Some stories and case histories of people that have had this - from a caregiver's
point of view - can be found at:
http://www.tornadodesign.com/cbgd
You might read through this and see if anything there sounds like your particular
case.

I should warn you that reading these documents may depress you - at least it did
for me.  But most of us want to know the facts and these.

There are mailing lists and other forums for CBGD and other manifestations of
Parkinson's Plus that you can find at the Neurological WebForums at Massachusetts
General Hospital (part of Harvard).  The main web site is at:
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
You will need to register and then there are a lot of specific groups you can
join.  The ones I have signed on are very informative and give you a better grasp
from a patient and caregivers point of view.

I hope I have help you and anyone else with PDP (MSA).  Parkinson's is cruel -
Parkinsons Plus is a whole different story. Once you have investigated these
avenues, please let me know what you thinnk, either through this group or through
regular email at [log in to unmask]

David
caregiver for mom, 68 now/preliminary diagnosis at age 64