Bill:  Here is something you might want to try.  Some friends and I go on a
wilderness camping/canoeing trip (every year since 1968).  My buddy and I sleep
in a small 2-man mountain tent -- you can sit up only in the center.  We get leg
cramps every time we try to arise.  We have tried this home remedy (don't laugh)
and we imagine it works!  Place your thumb in your mouth and put pressure on the
back of your front teeth and the front roof of your mouth.  Put pressure on this
spot on you lip just below the nose -- pressing hard.  Do not touch the cramped
leg.  Hold this until the cramp pain subsides.  This will not lessen the
immediate pain of the cramp, but will prevent the cramp site from being sore.  It
may be worth a try.  I laughed too the first time my comrade convinced me to try
it.  Joe.