Carolyn Jenkins wrote:

> Does anyone know about startling easily and dopamine receptors?  I've
> been like that for about 8 years, jump out of my skin even if someone
> touches me.  What does that have to do with PD, I thought it was no
> dopamine, not the receptors, is it both?

The exaggerated "startle" reflex in PD has been observed and described
in the science literature. Dopamine receptors are special areas on the
"receiving" end of the neurons that transmit information indicated by
the dopamine molecule. They can be fooled by other compounds that
bind to the same spot to carry a similar signal. There are several
useful drugs called "agonists" that do that and are useful in treatment.
There are at least 4 different kinds of dopamine receptor, that react
differently to different agonists, in different patients. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman 3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013