There are indications that STN stimulation slows down the progression of the
disease.

The patients who had STN three years whom I followed did not have to adjust
their medication and have not worsened. In advanced Parkinson's disease you
would have expected a considerable worsening over a period of three years.
Prof. Benabid from Grenoble has similar experience and even over a time
period of 5 years.  He is in favor to start STN stimulation at an earlier
stage and considering my own experience  I have to agree with him.

Chris van der Linden, M.D.