MDs vs WWW                                    7 Mar 2k
Just a hearty "thanks" to Janet for digging up all the material
about PD, a mainstay of our PIE, and a few comments about the
NYTimes article:
-Science reporter Gina Colata is the very best; anything you
see by her is worth reading.
-The problem she addressed is that while a patient may gather a
lot of information about one particular condition, becoming a
doctor requires learning about hundreds of different illnesses,
and he can't possibly memorize all the details about all of them.
-Don't try to outsmart the doctor, but be informed enough to see
(hopefuly) if he's trying to give you a snow job.
-For rather sardonic comment on this aspect of doctor/patient
relationship see Franz Kafka's short story "A Country Doctor".
(Kafka knew about sickness- his novel "The Trial" is to me an
allegory of his own desperate struggle against the tuberculosis
which killed him at age 41.) Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694