Surf the Net in any language

WebPosted Thu Mar 2 23:25:03 2000

TORONTO - Search for Web and e-mail addresses — using any major language in the world. That's now possible because of software developed by a group of young entrepreneurs from Toronto.

Internet users speak various languages based on different alphabets — but all domain names and e-mail addresses recognize only English. The new software allows the Net to process Chinese and Arabic characters as well.

Edmon Chung, one of the creators of the software, says the idea came to him while he was searching for a company in Hong Kong. He typed in its Chinese name on the Internet — and went nowhere: "At that time I was accustomed to typing in www.the name.com. But I can't do that. At that moment, I realized the Internet had to evolve."

Called Neteka, the company is made up of six friends and colleagues. Most are University of Toronto graduates.

The Innovations Foundation, founded by the university, helped the group with its business start-up and marketing.

Copyright 2000 CBC  All Rights Reserved

http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2000/03/01/internet000301

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0