I am also 41 and was diagnosed 3 years ago. I had symptoms for 2 years before being diagnosed, so I figure I'm about 5 years into this ordeal. I went about 3 years with the main symptoms being stiffness and tremor in my right arm. In the past year these symptoms have moved to my right leg also. I still work full time, and plan to do so for years to come. Some days I feel like I'm doing much better than the doctors have predicted. Some weekends I skip my medications just to see where I stand. Then I get to thinking I may be worse off than the doctor's predictions. As for my own progression, it would probably depend on what day you ask me that question.
Brian Carlson
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Beverly Forte
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 7:52 AM
Subject: Information on progression

After my diagnosis of PD in 1992 at the age of 41, I read enough about the illness to understand what I would be dealing with but did not buy into the rate of progression predicted. I have done very well these 8 years, especially as a single parent, self-employed writer. I even finished a Ph.D. in psychology during this time. My interest is renewed in finding out how others have progressed after diagnosis. I want to locate a database, if it exists, of actual progression of indiviuals not projections by doctors. Also, PD patients have such a variety of clusters of symptoms, I would like to find information showing the differences in actual progression by these subgroups. My symptoms are mainly muscle rigidity without tremor. I am disturbed by doctors singing doom and gloom when many can have joyful, poductive lives like I have. Had I beleived the initial picture, I would have given up long ago. There is much hope to be shared.