At 11:48 AM 2000/03/12 -0500, Carole Hercun <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Dear jmp: The most promising new anti-depressant is
>probably Reboxetine (to be marketed in the U.S. as Vestra),
>which should have all the efficacy of the older triclycics
>with a much lower side-effect profile. Should be a
>break-through medication. Was due to be launched in U.S.
>last month. Being held up by FDA, who want yet ANOTHER
>clinical trial. Has been used successfully in other
>countries for years. Been following anti-depressant thread
>with interest. Feel compelled to reiterate that:
>
>#1. Clinical Depression is a TREATABLE biochemical illness.
>#2. You DON'T have to grin and bear it.
>#3. ALL anti-depressants need to reach a certain blood
>level before they work. Need at least 2 to 6 weeks of
>taking meds to reach this. Most common reason
>anti-depressants don't work is failure to give them an
>adequate trial...
>                   Off My Soapbox, Carole

a-men and a-women to that!

it's as common as the common cold
but is the most undiagnosed and untreated "mood disorder"
while being the most treatable and CURABLE one at the same time
an oxy-moron of tragic proportions, imho

the descriptions of the brain-neurotransmitter-bio-chemistry-advances involved here -
i.e.  the 'specificity' of the receptors, etc
all warm the cockles of heart

our world is changing as we speak [um - write] [ um - type]

go, bio-chem-nerd-teams, go!

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0