On 8 Mar 00, at 1:30, Murray Charters wrote:

> I think the "preferred" scale is yet another... UPDRS...
> http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/pdstages.htm

I guess it's a matter of what is being measured and for what
purpose.  If you want a concise summary (how sick are you on a
scale of  1 - 5) the Hoehn & Yahr is OK.  If it's a matter of how
much care is needed, then the various activities of daily living
scales apply.  If a rather detailed clinical picture is needed, then
the UPDRS is appropriate.  The UPDRS itself is not detailed
enough on some measures, such as mental effects, for which there
are other scales, and I think it omits a few important things
altogether (fatigue, constipation).

One application for which there is no good, standard scale of
measurement is evaluation for disability insurance.  As a result, the
applicants and their doctors, in deciding whether to apply for
disability and in supplying evidence of disablity, and the evaluators,
in assessing disablity, in effect use or invent rather subjective
measures.  Lots of room for improvement here.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 62/dx 1990