On  9 Mar 00 at 5:33, janet marie paterson wrote:

> For Better Learning, Researchers Endorse 'Sleep on It' Adage
>
> March 7, 2000 - Scientists have discovered a new link between sleep and memory
> that seriously challenges the wisdom of skimping on time spent sleeping.
>
> Experiments show that when people learn a new skill, their performance does not
> improve until after they have had more than six and preferably eight hours of sleep.
SNIP

I've never slept more than 5 or 6 hours (at one time) in my entire life (except on
occasions when I was sick). Is that why I'm "dumb as a stick?"

> Only those who sleep more than six hours seem to improve.
>
> For example, someone whose best time was 75 milliseconds at the end of
> training might, after a good night's sleep, reliably perform the task in 62
> milliseconds.

What sort of stop watch and what kind of task?  Sorry, but I can't imagine
doing anything worth while in a sixteenth of a second...

> This improvement in speed and accuracy is somehow consolidated during
> sleep, Dr. Stickgold said.
>
> But it is not just any kind of sleep that matters.

I think there is little doubt that some people need a full 8 hours sleep.
But, some of us don't... Eight hours sleep leaves me feeling groggy.

I think this study needs more "study".

A 4AM riser .............. murray