Hi Jack & Jean, and Welcome to the "Club",
For an idea what "PET and Parkinsons" is all about go to ....
http://www.parkinson.org/pet&pd.htm

I wish you both all the best.... murray

On 12 Mar 00 at 15:29, Jack and Jean Corzine wrote:
Hello,
  My wife has recently been to a local neurologist who specializes in muscle
disease and motion disorders. This is after going to a regular neurologist
for almost a month for what we had originally thought of as being
stress-related tremors to her right arm. The original dr. (we'll call him
Dr. A) prescribed Xanax at 0.25 mg three times a day for two weeks. After
only 3 doses we called the dr. on call for side effects consisting of
increased tremors, severe depression and chest pain. We were advised to take
her off of the Xanax and to take her to the emergency room for the chest
pains (the ER found nothing wrong with her heart). After taking her off of
the Xanax she returned to having just her right arm tremors. We saw Dr. A
and he set up a EMG for the following Friday to rule out a pinched nerve or
any other nerve damage (Jean had already had a MRI of the head and a EEG
along with 4 blood tests). The EMG showed normal function and Dr. A
prescribed Zoloft at 50 mg once per day for two weeks. He told us that there
were little to be concerned about with side effects and the drug would take
up to two weeks to show results.

The very next night (after two doses) we were at a hockey game when Jean
started complaining about increased tremors in her right arm, muscle
contractions in her right leg and tremors in her right leg as well. We left
the game early to take her back into the ER where the E.R. Dr. called the
dr. on call for Dr. A's neurology group. Jean was prescribed Skelaxin 800
mg.  for relaxing the muscles. I took her back to see Dr. A the following
Monday (two days after the leg problems manifested. Dr. A saw us for about
10 minutes (charged us $80 U.S.) and basically told us that we were not
giving the medicine time to take effect, that he thought it was just stress
(even though we had de-stressed our life as much as  is possible) and that
he had no further answers for us. He did say that he would refer us to the
Dr. in Peoria for his recommendations (we will call him Dr. B for now). We
got our records from Dr. A only to find out that the majority of the history
that we had told him had been transcribed incorrectly.

We went to Dr. B one week after seeing Dr. A for the last time. Dr. B did a
fairly thorough exam of Jean's arm and leg (Dr. A did not even exam Jean's
leg but felt that it was only "stress"). During the exam by Dr. B, he noted
stiffness and slowness in the leg and arm muscles on the right side of the
body as well as the tremors. He listened to us while we discussed different
aspects of this affliction and made the decision that he thought that it was
Parkinson's Disease. He has prescribed Symmetrel 100 mg. twice a day. Jean
has also mentioned a couple of instances of tremors to the head area but
they have not re-manifested since two instances last week. The symmetrel has
reduced the tremors to a more manageable state but she still has some
difficulty with walking (her right leg still "drags" and is slower to
maneuver). Dr. B has also mentioned having a PET scan done to see the
dopamine levels in the brain cells. We are curious as to exactly what the
PET scan is and whether or not it is actually useful for diagnosis. If
anyone has some expertise or experience in the PET scan we would appreciate
any information on it.

My wife has just given me permission to mention her age so here goes.... she
is 32 and the mother of three currently (we have two of our own children and
one foster son). She is adopted so we do not have much in the way of family
history. We do have contact with her birth mother but have had no luck with
contact with her natural father. As far as we know there is no history of PD
in her family. I'm not real sure what else is relevant but I'm sure you will
let me know if I have left anything out. Thanks for listening.

Jack and Jean Corzine