Hi Phil,
I think the "preferred" scale is yet another... UPDRS...
http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/pdstages.htm

Secondly... reread the Schwab & England and you will see they consider
100% to be OK (completely ind.) & Zero % to be bedridden... so 40% is ??
Phil, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "Perhaps the
independence scale should be used as a measure of independence only,
and not of progression."
with the pwp unmedicated?" it seems elementary to me...
When my meds are working my progression is "masked" so progression
should be assessed "off meds" in my mind.

cheers .......... murray