Hi Phil,
As a PWP, I strongly agree with you re: the UPDRS not covering some very
important areas of progression.   In fact, on numerous occasions (probably
every office visit!!!) I have told my neuro/nurse "you don't ask the right
questions to understand the impact or changes of the disease for me".  I
truly wish that a broader scale could be developed.
I think it does prevent all but the "most open minded" neuro's from
comprehending the impact of the PD on daily/family living.  I have also
suggested a questionaire for the Carepartner that could be a checklist
completed in the waiting room (most of us have plenty of time
there!)....which could be helpful in the evaluation/suggestion/
modification/communication of treatment/medication.

The other thing I notice is that as we "accept" the limitations of the
progression of PD, the answers to some of the questions on the UPDRS improve.
 What bothered me in the beginning, may seem insignificant now in the realm
of everyday living and frustrations.  Also my "mood" when I am asked these
questions may vary.........if I am "on", I will answer one way..........if I
am "off", I will usually give a more positive answer.  This seems a bit
different than one might anticipate....but when I am "off" I do not want to
talk, elaborate, define, think.........so therefore give the answer that will
require the least followup information from me.

So, how do we ever get the medical community to hear our requests for an
updated version of an old problem.........?

Rita Weeks 55/10