Subject: Re: ABCNEWS.com : The Fetal Tissue Industry

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 00:57:48 EST

From: [log in to unmask]

To: [log in to unmask], ...

The  20/20  'expose' of  the  'fetal tissue industry'  is in fact airing

tonite, Wed. 3/7 at 10pm.  The House Commerce subcomittee begins hearings
tomorrow (Thurs).

As someone involved in this issue I would like to offer a more balanced
perspective on this soon-to-be-tainted process at the YPSG  meetiing this
Saturday at 10:00 at the Palo Alto Y.
--Lynn Fielder

------------------------
GOP, Dems Spar Over Fetal Tissue

.c The Associated Press

 By JANELLE CARTER

WASHINGTON (AP) - House Democrats on Wednesday abandoned an effort to exclude
the public and media from a hearing this week on allegations that a lucrative
but illegal market has developed for fetal tissue from abortions.

A Democratic aide acknowledged that members of his party, along with some
pro-abortion Republicans, wanted Thursday's House Commerce subcommittee
hearing held behind closed doors, partly because of concerns that militant
abortion foes might retaliate against some of the parties involved.

The aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the effort was dropped
after Republicans provided assurances ``that the testimony will not put
researchers and clinics in jeopardy.''

Research using fetal tissue is seen as among the best hopes for finding new
treatments for illnesses such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease,
AIDS and diabetes. But the ethics of using fetal tissue for medical research
have long been questioned by abortion foes.

Steve Schmidt, the Commerce Committee's Republican spokesman, said ``If the
Democrats have now dropped their objections and agreed they will have an open
hearing, it is clearly because they know the American people will be
outraged.''

``The American people have a right to know what goes on behind the closed
doors of a congressional committee,'' Schmidt said.

Democratic-led lawmakers had maintained that a closed hearing was in order
because of House rules that allow a majority of members to vote to close a
committee if testimony may ``defame, degrade or incriminate.''

But both the National Conference of Catholic Bishops and the National Right
to Life Committee issued statements Wednesday accusing abortion rights
advocates on the committee of trying to prevent the public from learning
about the trade in fetal tissue.

``Abortion advocates must not be permitted to conceal the practices of a
large abortion industry from the citizens of the United States,'' said Helen
Alvare with the Catholic bishops.

Douglas Johnson, legislative director for the National Right to Life
Committee, said Democrats were ``trying to throw a cloak over these
proceedings.''

Two of the witnesses on the committee list have been subpoenaed by Congress -
pathologist Dr. Miles Jones and medical technician Dean Alberty, both of
Missouri. Aides said it was unclear Wednesday whether Jones would adhere to
the subpoena and appear.

The issue of fetal tissue research was scheduled to be highlighted in an
episode of ABC's ''20/20'' Wednesday night.

Under federal law, it is legal to use fetal tissue for research as long as it
is donated, not sold, by the woman. Reasonable charges are allowed for
companies that extract and transfer the tissue to researchers. Thursday's
hearing by the health and environment subcommittee will investigate concerns
by anti-abortion activists that some companies are charging exorbitant prices
to make a profit off fetal tissue.

Gloria Feldt, national president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America,
said ``any wrongdoing, if it exists, needs to be investigated and it needs to
be dealt with accordingly. We want to make sure that when fetal tissue is
done it is done in accordance with ethical guidelines.''

Congress lifted a ban on federally funded research using fetal tissue in
1993, but made it a felony to purchase or sell the tissue for profit.

The House in November passed a measure urging its members to investigate
whether private companies are violating federal law by profiting from the
sale of fetal parts.

Abortion opponents have also expressed concern that some clinics may perform
unsafe procedures on women if it means a better chance of salvaging fetal
tissue.

On the Net: House Commerce Committee. http://www.house.gov/commerce

AP-NY-03-08-00 1800EST