  Janet, with your inimitable talent for digging up facts, you have uncovered
an old principle : "Sleep on it ! "
 Many moons ago when our son was 9,  ( now forty something) ,  and he was
determined to master his lines for Gilbert & Sullivan,  he took the tapes to
bed,
recited  his role once or twice and then went off to slumbered. I often
wondered did he dream he was The Duke of Plaza Torro  or Rudddigore's Robin.
  Invariably he could recite (sing) his part the following morning, and
retained
it 'til through performance. ...and thereafter.
      I don't know how long thereafter   maybe that's relevant.

[log in to unmask] (Mary Manfredi)