Neurologically, Mysoline is a drug that is commonly used in the treatment of
Essential Tremor (also called benign or familial tremor).  Because it can
cause sedation, many ET patients take it at night so that they sleep through
the side effects yet wake to benefit.

What is Essential Tremor?  It is another neurologic disorder in which tremor
is the only symptom.  The tremor seen in ET is different from that seen in
PD: A PD tremor is often described as an "at rest" tremor while the tremor
of ET is an "action" tremor, descriptions which indicate when the tremors
are most noticible.  Another difference is that ET can affect the head (in a
yes-yes or no-no motion) which is not seen as part of PD.  I've also seen ET
patients whose tongues were affected!  Again, this is not typically seen in
PD.

ET is also much more prevalent than is Parkinson's disease.  In the US, it
is estimated that there are approximately one million PD patients.  In the
US, there are approximately 4-6 million ET patients.  Because both are
common in the "older" age group, both can occur concurrently in an
individual which can cause difficulties - in the earlier stages - with
diagnosis.

There is an organization dedicated specifically to ET, called the
International Tremor Foundation.  I don't know if they have a website but
their offices can be reached at (913) 341-3880.

Jeanne Lee-Rosner
PDF-Chicago