Some of you may recall that last January  there appeared in this list  some reports on   recent publications by Dr. Judit Mally  of Erszebet Korhaz in Sopran, Hungary and Professor T.W. Stone of Glasgow University on Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). The researchers found  that following a week's treatment with TMS, the various Parkinson symptoms, particularly bradykinesia improved and the benefit lasted for up to 6 months. I decided to follow it up.

I found that the papers had appeared in respectable journals. I couldn't trace a Web Site relating to Dr. Mally, who had actually administered the treatment(tell you about her later),  but it was easy for me to discover the credentials of Professor Stone. I found that he is a world renowned neuropharmacologist with almost 300 papers to his name and has edited 11 books on the topic. See

http://www.neuroscience.co.uk/staff/twstone.html

I was satisfied that this wasn't hocus pocus  and  decided to follow it up. Now I have been to Sopron to try out  TMS and in this report I will first give you the basic facts.

1.TMS
TMS is a hot topic of research. It involves the  generation of pulsed  magnetic fields and applying the resulting  electrical stimulus to the brain. Many studies have found that depressed subjects who are  resistant to other therapies, respond to TMS and its value in treating depression is fairly well established. There are various other areas where research is in progress, but before the work of Mally and Stone, I have  been able to trace only one paper relating to Parkinson. For more information on TMS see

http://www.biomag.helsinki.fi/tms/

2. Who Am I?
I am not setting out to advertise myself, but you are bound to be wondering about my connection with Parkinson. I will be brief. I was trained as a mathematician, worked mostly on computer modelling in physics, drifted into computer graphics and am now fairly well known as an  expert on Islamic art. I have also lived a very vigorous physical life and until 3 years ago  was convinced that I had worked out the  most sophisticated system for beating old age that any human had ever devised. You will find more details about me on my Web Pages (address at the end).

I am now 63. I celebrated my 60th birthday by jogging all the way to the summit of the highest mountain in North Wales. The next summer, while on a climbing holiday in the French Alps I began to notice a slight tremor in my right hand. In June 1998, I was diagnosed as having Parkinson. I was of course shattered. How the hell could it happen to me?

But I have recovered and have been more creative and excited since Parkinson than before. In my case, Parkinson may yet turn out to be a blessing after all. I am deeply aware that despite prodigious increase in human knowledge, despite the Internet, despite the trip to the moon, human culture at its  core remains the stuff of dark ages. Humans have no holistic rational model for thinking about themselves. I have developed such a model and am now using it to try and beat Parkinson. If I succeed then it will validate 20 years of thinking. I will publish my algorithm for dealing with Parkinson if and only if I succeed. All I can say at this  stage is that highly sophisticated electrical stimulation of muscles and electro-magnetic stimulation of the brain will be key components in my method.

3. TMS in Shopron
I arrived in Shopron on Sunday 20th February and started receiving treatment on 21st, twice a day. There were 14 other persons receiving treatment that week, two of them spoke English. I decided to interview all of them and here is a factual description of
what I found:

Age range of the cohort: 54..77
Period of Parkinson diagnosis: 1year ....10years
The number of times received TMS:  1....8

At the end of the treatment, I asked them to allot a mark between 0 and 5 to indicate change in 3 conditions:-  tremor, slowness and mental functioning. 0 indicates no change and 5 indicates dramatic recovery. (It needs to be said that the results of TMS, generally start showing  up the week following. Also, Dr. Mally told me that about 1/3 rd do not respond).

Tremor: 3(0) (3 said no change) ; 3(1); 5(2); 3(3)
Slowness: 5(0); 1(1); 3(2);
Mental functioning: 8(0); 2(1); 1(2); 1(3); 1(4); (one person reported getting a headache);
2 persons told  me that they were able to reduce the dosage of  drugs after receiving TMS.

What About Me?
I have a problem here. I had   been put on Ropinirole and was taking 15mg per day. Dr. Mally advised me to drop Ropinirole and prescribed low doses of Madopar, Selegiline, Sinemat CR, Kemodrin and Rivotril. I feel greatly improved in every way. But I cannot be certain as to how much of it is due to TMS and how much due to new medication.

About Dr. Mally?
I hadn't been able to find out much about Dr. Mally but she is a very experienced and knowledgeable pharmacologist and has a sharp eye for Parkinson. She has published about 40 papers. She is utterly devoted to the welfare of her patients and is a very caring doctor. I would consider myself lucky to be treated by her even if she wasn't offering TMS.

I have given you the facts and now some opinions.

I feel that the pioneering work of Mally and Stone is of great significance and needs to be repeated under strict conditions by other researchers. Furthermore, it is only a  start.  There are many questions that need answers and the methodology needs to be refined. I have no doubt that TMS works for some persons.  I myself saw 2 persons change quite dramatically, but this is an  opinion and I cannot rule out placebo.

Do You Want To Try TMS?
Dr. Mally is very busy with her clinical work and research. I have agreed to liaise with her to do the administrative work in arranging treatment in  Shopron. It will not be ethical to discusss costs and other such matters in this list. If you want to receive TMS  then you should (i) get the approval of your physician (ii) email me to get  details and be placed on a list.

Jan Abas

--
          Dr.S.J.Abas
  School of Mathematics