Margie -
Thanks for your input on the MAO-B inhibitors being less dangerous. We don't
really trust the pharmacists and doctors at my father's HMO -- they seem
overworked and undermotivated. Also my Dad asked for Remeron based on the
Neurology journal article; it wasn't the psychiatrist's idea. Meanwhile, I
did find something helpful on Medline (I included the abstract below, for
those who are interested), and my father finally agreed to stop the
selegiline for now.
- Roxanna

Serotonin syndrome and the combined use of deprenyl and an antidepressant in
Parkinson's disease. Parkinson Study Group.

Neurology 1997 Apr;48(4):1070-7

Richard IH, Kurlan R, Tanner C, Factor S, Hubble J, Suchowersky O, Waters C
University of Rochester Medical Center, Department of Neurology, NY
14642-8673, USA.

The manufacturer of deprenyl (selegeline; Eldepryl) (Somerset
Pharmaceuticals, Tampa, FL) recently advised physicians to avoid prescribing
the drug in combination with an antidepressant because of potentially
serious CNS toxicity that may represent the serotonin syndrome.
Manifestations of the serotonin syndrome vary but may include changes in
mental status and motor and autonomic function. To better estimate the
frequency of the serotonin syndrome in patients with Parkinson's disease
(PD) treated with deprenyl and an antidepressant, we surveyed all
investigators in the Parkinson Study Group. Based on estimates provided by
the 47 investigators (75%) who responded, 4,568 patients were treated with
the combination of deprenyl and an antidepressant medication. Eleven
patients (0.24%) were reported to have experienced symptoms possibly
consistent with the serotonin syndrome. Only two patients (0.04%)
experienced symptoms considered to be serious. No deaths were reported. We
also reviewed all published case reports and adverse experiences reported to
the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the manufacturer of Eldepryl.
Available information indicates that serious adverse experiences resulting
from the combined use of deprenyl and an antidepressant medication in
patients with PD are quite rare and that the frequency of the true
"serotonin syndrome" is even rarer.

PMID: 9109902, UI: 97264030