----- Original Message -----
From: Joao Paulo Carvalho <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: dinsdag 14 maart 2000 20:03
Subject: Re: THALAMUS RHYTHMS

> I certainly would appreciate if we could hear from Dr. Chris of BE his
(always
> praised) comments about this new surgical technique .
>
> Cheers,
> Joao Paulo

Thew story in the article is not more than the story of electrical
stimulation of the thalamus, which as we now know is not the target for
Parkinson's disease anymore, not even for the tremor of Parkinson's disease.

Incidentally, we were the first to implant electrodes in the thalamus for
chronic stimulation in an adult patient with Tourette's syndrome. This
patient stopped having tics during stimulation. He now leads a stable life
in Belgium.  We published this patient in one of the february 1999 issues of
the Lancet.

Best regards,

Chris van der Linden, M.D.