Lawmakers Eye Fetal Tissue Research

By JANELLE CARTER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON, March 10, 2000 (AP) - Researchers and advocacy groups are
urging Congress not to institute restrictions on fetal tissue research
in the wake of allegations that an illegal market has developed for
tissue from abortions.

A House panel on Thursday heard from patients who view fetal tissue
research as among the best hopes they have for finding new treatments
for illnesses such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and
diabetes.

``I am concerned that today's hearing will have a chilling effect that
will slow, if not stop, vital medical research,'' Joan Samuelson,
president of Parkinson's Action Network, told the House Commerce health
and environment subcommittee.

``Research ... is my best hope for the future,'' said Samuelson, who
suffers from the disease.

Anti-abortion lawmakers have expressed concern that some tissue
retrieval companies are illegally charging exorbitant prices to make a
profit from the procedure. One pathologist who bragged of the
profitability of fetal tissue before hidden cameras on an episode of
ABC's ''20/20'' this week did not respond to a subpoena from the House
panel to testify Thursday.

Under federal law, it is legal to use fetal tissue for research as long
as it is donated, not sold, by the woman. Congress in 1993 lifted a ban
on federally funded research using fetal tissue, but made it a felony to
purchase or sell the tissue for profit.

The law allows only reasonable charges to cover the cost of extracting
and transferring tissue to researchers.

The complaint by anti-abortion lawmakers is that some tissue retrieval
companies are charging prices as high as $325 for a spinal cord and $75
for a single eye.

Lawmakers agreed to begin contempt-of-Congress proceedings against Dr.
Miles Jones, the Missouri pathologist who appeared on television, and
have asked the Justice Department to investigate allegations raised by
the television program.

But Samuelson urged lawmakers to use caution before acting against fetal
tissue research.

``I am concerned that in attempting to enforce the laws governing fetal
tissue research ... Congress may unnecessarily over-restrict fetal
tissue research,'' said Dr. Samuel M. Cohen, a University of Nebraska
Medical Center pathologist. ``This would be a grave mistake.''

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., reminded lawmakers that they approved the
use of fetal tissue to help find cures and treatments for diseases. ``We
cannot lose sight of that.''

But Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J., said, ``Babies are not guinea pigs. This
is just one day in this ongoing battle to stop this heinous practice.''

Republicans had hoped to buttress their allegations that fetal tissue is
being sold illegally with the testimony of former clinic employee
Lawrence Dean Alberty.

Instead, Alberty, of Lee's Summit, Mo., said under oath that he had no
knowledge of a profiteering scheme despite comments he made on an
anti-abortion group's video.

``Anything I said on the video when I was not under oath, that is a
different story,'' Alberty told lawmakers.
-
On the Net: House Commerce Committee. http://www.house.gov/commerce
  Copyright © 2000 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                        Today’s Research...