Jack etal.,

This may be making some far-fetched connections, but we never get anywhere
without brainstorming!

My father suffers from MSA.  We have no evidence as to the cause.  I keep
wondering, though, if there might be a genetic "trigger" that was touched
off by some event or exposure earlier in his life.

His mother had Alzheimer's, fairly typical early-onset, I think, beginning
in her late 50's and lasting 10-12 years.  His only sibling, a sister,
suffered with severe arthritis for much of her adult life.  At one point I
remember hearing that she was on gold treatments, which lasted several
years.  In her early 70's, she developed Alzheimer's, which progressed
quickly and caused her death in less than two years.  They (doctors?--my
information is second hand) said that it happened as a result of all the
different medications she had taken for her arthritis.

What I wonder is -- is there a relationship between brain diseases like
Alzheimer's and the Parkinson's syndromes?  Is there a genetic "trigger"
that runs in families?  What sets off this trigger?  Could exposure to
metals or chemicals leave traces in brain tissue that causes the
degeneration?  I don't know what metals my father and grandmother might
have been exposed to, but Dad was an engineer working with heavy machinery
manufacturing and we used to be much less careful about metals and things
like pesticides, so exposures were probably more common.

What does this have to do with your query about medications?  My thoughts
were touched off by thinking about my aunt's gold treatments, which were
considered a medication at the time.  So I wonder if there are other
medications we may be taking that have the ability to trigger some genetic
susceptibility to brain diseases.

Whew!  Now my brain is all wore out!

Jane K.
(daughter of Fred, 81/MSA 2)