Send reply to:          [log in to unmask]
From:                   Frans van Duinen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: NONPD: aspartame /stevia
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Sun, 19 Mar 2000 15:55:07 -0500

> Sucralose is sucrose where the hydroxyl groups have been replaced by
> chlorine molecules.  (but dont ask me what that means)

And what does this do to the sugar?  Why are we avoiding sugar in
the first place?  I guess that I have lost the thread.

The hoax regarding Aspartame is based on the propaganda of one
person, a woman named Betty Martini.  She made some allegations
about some discussions of Aspartame at a scientific meeting, when, in
fact, the so-called discussions were in the form of her own "heckling"
at the meeting.  There is no record of any papers or other scientific
work showing the terrible things that Ms. Martini (she is not even a
scientist herself) says.

The one potentially bad thing about Aspartame is that, in those very
rare people who are lacking an enzyme to break down the (natural)
amino acid, phenylalanine, they can accumulate a toxic substance
which can cause retardation.  This condition, called phenylketonuria,
or PKU, is tested in all newborns; and if you have this congenital
defect, you must live on a phenylalanine-free diet or you will get in
trouble from ordinary foods which contain this amino acid.

It is amazing to me how this kind of nonsense can get started based
on nothing but one person's propaganda.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"