Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Hans van der Genugten <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Request for info about implantations with foetal tissue
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:56:18 -0500

> Hi all,
>
> A dutch PWP is looking for information about brain implants with foetal
> human tissue.
>
> According to his source these operations are performed in UK, US, Sweden
> and Mexico.
>
> Specifically he would like to know:
> - where in the UK are these operations performed?
> - who should he contact in the UK for further info?
> - what are the riscs of such an operation?
> - what are the benefits (how many %% chance of curing)?
> - how many hours is the actual operation?
> - how long takes it to recover from the operation?
> - what are the costs?
> - what is the procedure for getting lined up for such an operation?
>
> Also he would like to get in touch with people that had such an operation.
>
> Hans.

Hans,

There was a recent neurosurgical symposium in San Francisco which I
attended, in which this was discussed.  The man from New York who
is generally considered the main "expert" in this field stated
unequivocally that fetal-cell transplants in PD are "not yet ready for
patients".  His work proves that the cells actually *do* survive, but
they do not help the patient.  They actually seem to increase
dystonias and dyskinesias.

I took notes during the symposium and posted them here on the List a
few weeks ago.  If you didn't get them, let me know, and I will re-send
them to you.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"