Patricia,
You may want to read the book "The Protein Power Life Plan" by Dr. M R Eades
and Dr. M D Eades, pub 2000, Warner books
(http://www.twbookmark.com/books/12/0446525766/)

Their basic view is
1. the typical western diet is much higher in carbohydrates than the body can
properly handle.
2. this results in chronically high insulin levels
3. high insulin levels cause insulin resistance and a slew of other condition,
including increased fat storage in the body and may even cause/contribute to
type II Diabetes.  (they also "finger" high carbs. in acid reflux (pp 136,
142-143)

Their view on diet is contrary to what most doctors/dieticians hold, so
ultimately it depends on whom you believe.

Personally I find their argument compelling, and I like the fact that they
review all aspects of nutrition. And, of course I like the fact that in the
first few months on this diet (fall 98), I lost some 30+ lbs.

On the negative side, I am somewhat put off by the marketing (infomercial) of
their 1995 book (Protein Power Plan)
I am also not sure how this diet, which is quite high in protein affects my
Parkinsons meds. They may also be wrong about Aspartame ...

So, have a look and decide for yourself (with your DR and Neuro, of course).
FWIW

--
Frans van Duinen
     (416) 652-8580