"Robert A. Fink, M. D." wrote:

> > Sucralose is sucrose where the hydroxyl groups have been replaced > by
> chlorine molecules.  (but dont ask me what that means)
>
> And what does this do to the sugar?  Why are we avoiding sugar in the
> first place?  I guess that I have lost the thread.

Sugar is avoided by many people because it is considered to be fattening
and somewhat toxic of course for diabetics.  Some go so far as to claim
that refined sugar is just bad.  Sugar is probably the purest chemical
available and is obtained mainly from sugar cane in tropical or semi
tropical conditions although in some Western countries it is obtained from
the beet.  The way I understand from my old organic chem,  is that sucrose
is a disaccharide made up of two different hexoses (sugars containing six
carbons in the skeleton) glucose and fructose.  Glucose is the bad actor
in diabetes and fructose is much easier to tolerate.  Most of the
functional groups attached to the carbon skeleton are OH's (hydroxyl which
when attached to a methyl group for instance makes it methanol), so that
sucrose is full of these hydroxyls which makes these hydrophilic or water
soluble.  Sucralose is then synthesized from sucrose by carefully
replacing only three of them with chlorine groups.  There are still plenty
of hydroxyls to presumably maintain some of the properties like taste and
solubility.  But as I said, I will try to verify all that stuff later.
And this is my chemistry lesson for today, boys and girls.

Michel

PS  I am still using aspartame for whatever I consume and as far as I can
see I do not expect to switch.