Yes, Jack, I noticed the reference to viruses
and encephalitis!

 In fact, I am hoping to be allowed to apply to the PDF
for  a summer Fellowship, in support of a plan to spend 10
weeks this summer, studying the role of viruses in PD.

I would work under Prof. William Steinhart, geneticist, and
distinguished senior faculty member at  Bowdoin College's
(Brunswick, Maine) Biology Department.

 I would be working on genetic changes that viruses can
initiate that could result in the onset of  Parkinson's Disease
(blocked or insufficient dopamine).

Ivan 50/339/36

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:42:28 -0500 Jack Orrell <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> In the March 12, 2000 Washington Times article by Karen Goldberg Goff
> she
> writes, in part:
>
> ' Parkinson's also can occur as a result of illness, such as
> encephalitis
> or other serious viruses, injury or some medications used to treat
> psychiatric disorders and high blood pressure.'
>
> It's not clear whether Ms. Goff was quoting this from any single
> source or
> authority.
>
> However, if we take this statement at face value, are we to believe
> that
> medications we may have taken for these rather common disorders
> might have
> contributed to our PD?--- and, if this is true, shouldn't these
> drugs be
> 'red-flagged' as being dangerous? After all, PD is a pretty harsh
> 'side
> effect'!
>
> Maybe we, the PIEN, have tossed this around before and perhaps it is
> already documented--if so, I'd appreciate any feedback from people
> like
> Janet Paterson, Joe Bruman, etc.
>
> By the way Ivan, did you notice that viruses are also mentioned?
>
> The purpose of this post is to try to get to the bottom of this
> statement
> and is not meant, in any way, to demean an excellent, supportive,
> well-written article.
>
> Jack Orrell   72/7/9

 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)