A better way of writing this same paragraph would have been to use the term
"parkinsonism" and not Parkinson's which tends to refer specfically to
Parkinson's disease.  Parkinsonism is a term used to describe a set of
symptoms that mimic those seen in Parkinson's disease BUT FOR WHICH WE HAVE
A SPECIFIC CAUSE.

1) Von Economos Encephalitis: the only form of encephalitis ever found to
cause a parkinson-like syndrome to appear.  Since VEE hasn't occurred since
the late 1920s, most individuals with post-encephalitic parkinsonism are no
longer alive.

2) Injury: Some long-time boxers can experience Pugilistica (punch-drunk
syndrome) in which some of the symptoms of Parkinson's disease are seen such
as slowed movement, soft speech, hand tremors.  These individuals tend not
to respond well to the known antiparkinson medications.

3) Medication:  Yes, there are a number of pharmacologic agents that can
cause Parkinson-like symptoms to appear as side effects.  These can include
antipsychotics such as Haldol and Thorazine; Seditives/antidepressants such
as Limbitrol and Asendin; Gastroinestinal Remedies such as Reglan and
Combid, etc.  This is called drug-induced parkinsonism and is generally seen
in long-term, high-dose levels.  It is also generally "temporary" as once
the offending drug is withdrawn and the drug weans itself out of the system,
the "side effects" also tend to go away.  And, yes, these drugs have all the
appropriate warnings as is required by the FDA.  It's up to the doctor to
know the effects and side effects prior to prescribing any drug.  However,
if other medications for these same indications don't do the necessary job,
sometimes patients have to have a "give-and-take" attitude.  They may have
to give up something in order to take (gain) from it.  For example, if no
other antispychotic sufficiently limits the patient's psychoses and
Thorazine proves beneficial to the point where the patient can live and
function on his own, the patient may rather deal with the side effects of a
parkinsonism (which can be treated) rather than the original problems (the
psychoses) that led to this prescription.

Jeanne Lee-Rosner
PDF-Chicago