 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses    50 sunny  deg. F   :-)
Thank you, Chris , for your comments on the life cycle
of the color of our substantia nigra .  Fascinating.

Chris, Bob, any neurosurgeons or neuroanatomists...or
anyone else, here is my MAIN question, restated:

 *  I guess I am still wondering if the color of the substantia nigra
tissue
in the mid brain of a PWP could be an indication of live, functional, but
"blocked" dopamine-producing nerve cells, or , is that color instead,
proof of  "apparently dead" dopamine-producing cells
(that can never function again).

Chris, or anyone, here are four sub-questions:

1) Are the various pigmentation states of the substantia
nigra known through post-mortem study, primarily, or have there been
studies where this brain tissue has been observed in
persons who are alive? Do these tissues come from autopsy?
From surgical theaters?

2)  Do surgeons see these mid brain tissues regularly?
Rarely? Almost never?

3) In examinations after death, would the
color of the substantia nigra be different from what it was during life?
   If different, could this difference be accounted for  either
by the deposit of pigment(s), or by the precipitation of protein?

4) Do you think that substantia nigra coloration cold be related
to either dopamine or  phenylalanine( L-DOPA) deposits, specifically?
Or, to what else?

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Sincerely,

Ivan Suzman 50/39/36