Many years ago, well over twenty, the FDA had proposed to regulate food
additives so that they would have to demonstrate safety and efficacy.  This
caused quite a furor with industry that it manage to have Congress take over
this 'problem' and veto that proposal.  In another case, when saccharin was
found to be carcinogenic and FDA had proposed to regulate that additive, again,
Congress vetoed that.  When a health decision affects the deep pockets of
industry, industry influences Congress to nullify further action.
The  fact is that all these additives are freely sold at a hefty price
regardless of what they are beneficial or harmful.  So far, proper scientific
scrutiny has not proved any of them to be worth their high claim.

Michel Margosis
'Carpe Diem'