From: Robert A. Fink, M. D. <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: Surgery for PD

Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Don Berns <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Surgery for PD
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:44:45 -0500

> Joan Dykstra,
>
> Based on my own experience which includes:
> -personally having a bi-lateral pallidotomy in Dec 1993
> -working weekly with well over 300 PD patients over four years
> -attending a Pallidotomy Accord Conf. for neurosurgeons at
Princeton in
> April of 1998 -setting in on several surgeries as an observor
>
> There is one surgeon who is the very best.
> Dr. Robert Iacono
> Neuroscience Clinic
> 245 terracina blvd. #209A
> Redlands, CA
> 909-792-8188
>

> Don Berns                           Karen Berns
> B.S.M.E., clay pot, M.Div.          Assoc. Pastor-Pleasant Hills
Community
> Wounded Healer, P.D. D. Min.                        Presbyterian
Church
> Parish Associate PHCPC                          199 Old Clairton
Rd.
>                                      Pittsburgh, PA 15236
> Check out Don's pallidotomy story on website:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/pienet/hithgang/hitdonb
1.html
> For more info on this life changing operation for persons with
P.D. See:
> www.pallidotomy.com
>

> Blessings on you as you pursue the medical treatment you need to
treat
> your PD.
>

> Don Berns

Dr. Iacono may be one of the better surgeons for performing
pallidotomies, but the experts in surgery for Parkinson's disease
these
days believe that pallidotomy is no longer the "gold standard" for
the
surgical treatment of this condition.

Please refer to the transcript of the recent neurosurgical meeting
in
San Francisco where the newer techniques in PD surgery were
discussed (including tissue transplants and stimulation
procedures).  I
posted this transcript on this List several months ago (and it is
available in the Archives).  Basically:

1. Pallidotomy is useful in "pre-treatment of dystonias" (quote
from
Dr. Gary Heit at Stanford), but, over the long haul, leads to more
speech problems in PD patients.  The early pallidotomy cases are
beginning to relapse.

2. Fetal tissue transplant surgery is not yet ready for clinical
use.  The
experiences (Dr. Stanley Fahn) suggest that it worsens
dyskinesias.

3. The current "gold standard" is deep brain stimulation, either
in the
pallidum or the subthalamic nucleus.

Pallidotomy is no longer considered good treatment for PD, at
least by
people such as Dr. Heit, except for the exception (dystonia)
above.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"