Learn something new every day! We're gonna need a whole "buttload" of fruit
flies!

http://cartalk.cars.com/Mail/Letters/1999/11.26/5.html

- - - - - - -

What Geeks (Engineers and Scientists) Do When They Have Too Much Free Time

On a previous show you were discussing ways to measure a butt. I recall some
ideas, like the number of notes covered while sitting on a piano keyboard.

At Los Alamos National Laboratory, we generally use metric units, but every
once and awhile, we need to be quantitative about "a buttload of stuff," "a
buttload of rocket fuel," "a buttload of antimatter," etc.

I thought you might like to know that there is actually an exact unit of
volume called the BUTT. I kid you not!!!

See Webster's dictionary:
"butt--a measure of liquid capacity equal to 126 gallons or two hogsheads"

In another dictionary:

An English butt is 2 hogshead of 54 imperial gallons each or ~129.7 U.S.
gallons (i.e., a U.K. butt is apparently slightly bigger than a U.S. one)

A Spanish butt is based on a wine cask and is equivalent to 140 U.S. gallons
or ~116.6 U.K. gallons (i.e., a Spanish butt is bigger still)

So next time someone says they have a "buttload" of stuff, just remember,
that is about two 55-gallon barrels' worth of stuff.

1 butt equals:

2 hogsheads (this is probably the easiest to remember for social occasions)
476.961 liters
126 gallons
104.917 U.K. gallons
13.5347 bushels
0.131592 cords
11.6574 firkins
4032 gills
21504 ponys
4032 noggins
1008 pints
96768 teaspoons
12.0308 ephahs
1.58987x10^7 drops
10752 jiggers
16128 shots
629.504 wine bottles
630 fifths
One microbutt = 0.0968 teaspoons

Cheers,

Carl Gable
(and the rest of the geeks and geekettes in the car pool, Dr. Bill Carey,
Dr. Barb Dutrow, Dr. Jeremy Mitchell, Dr. George Guthrie)