---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:35:37 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Al Gore
Statement on Parkinson's
March 2000

As we approach the 21st century, we are making scientific and medical
breakthroughs that would have been unimaginable just a few years ago. In the
last seven years, scientists have discovered the genes that help us predict
breast cancer, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, and are on the very verge of
genetic treatments to prevent or delay the onset of these diseases.  Later
this year, researchers on the Human Genome Project expect to complete
sequencing of the genome, leading to a revolution in our ability to detect,
treat and prevent all kinds of diseases.

It is important for Americans to recognize that federal tax dollars have
funded much of this research. Our wise investments in science have made
possible this revolution in our ability to detect, treat, and prevent
disease, but, remarkable as its achievements have been, the biotechnology
enterprise is still in its infancy.  We will reap even greater benefits as
long as we sustain the intellectual partnership, public confidence-and
financial support-that have moved biotechnology forward thus far, and federal
investment is essential if we are to continue to reap the biotechnology
benefits we are only beginning to imagine.

That is why the Clinton-Gore Administration's FY 2001 budget includes almost
$19 billion for biomedical research at the National Institutes of Health
(NIH). This budget proposal would increase NIH funding for biomedical
research by $1 billion as a key component of a $2.8 billion increase in
investment in the 21st Century Research Fund.  These increases build on the
commitment the President and Vice President have made throughout their
administration to support investment in biomedical research. As a result of
this commitment, NIH now supports the highest levels of research ever on
nearly all types of disease and health conditions.  And with Congressional
approval, funding for the NIH in 2001 will be nearly twice as much as when
President Clinton and Vice President Gore took office.

Al Gore has been a strong advocate of funding for biomedical research and for
the major increase in this year's budget. In addition to the work he has done
as Vice President to increase investment and encourage bipartisan support for
this crucial research, Al Gore has fought throughout his career to increase
investment in biomedical technologies, remove barriers to groundbreaking
research, and improve health care access for people with serious illnesses.