Frans van Duinen wrote:

> Hi Joe,
> That is a good question!  Either the Autonomous Nervous System is not totally
> autonomous, or it has neurons that are of similar construction and subject to
> whatever kills those brain cells.  But as you observed that would involve
> Dopamine throughout the body.

Dopamine is ubiquitous, outside the CNS as well as inside. It's
produced
in quantity by the adrenal glands (attached to kidney), which
were tried
unsuccessfully smoe years ago as transplant material for PD; Also
by the
thalamus (if I recall correctly) whence it is carried by neural
projections to the pituitary, a mysterious combined endocrine
gland and
neural center. That organ seems to be unaffected by PD, but one
function
regulated by dopamine is to produce prolactin (in nursing
mothers). And
when the reduced supply of dopamine to the pituitary causes
hyper-
prolactinemia, the standard drug treatment is guues what?: Old
familiar
dopamine agonist bromocriptine (Parlodel), or the more effective
agonist
cabergoline (Dostinex,  in the US. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road