-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: J. R. Bruman <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: vrijdag 24 maart 2000 2:26
Onderwerp: Re: Some questions - malnutrition of brain cells

>> No doubt about it, and it's the *peripheral* autonomic system as well.
Some of the most troublesome PD symptoms, e.g., constipation, various skin
problems, etc. arise wholly outside the central nervous system, and
the relation to PD is clearly indicated by the beneficial effect of
dopamine-enhancing medication (Sinemet). The tantalizing question for me is,
If PD is defined as loss of dopamine produced *within* the brain by the
substantia nigra, and if dopamine doesn't cross the  blood-brain barrier,
how then does PD affect peripheral autonomic systems *outside* the brain?
None of the authorities I queried has offered a straight answer. <<

Dopamine doesn't only influence directly motor functions, but also
stimulates or inhibits other brain areas. If dopamine is reduced by
Parkinson the balance in the other brain areas is also affected, causing
central disturbances like cognitive problems and strong emotions. The
peripheral autonomic system is also (partly) influenced by (some) central
brain functions (like sweating when you are afraid) and therefor also
indirectly influenced by lack of dopamine in the brain.

Hans.