Hi Jane:

I am a 68 yr old male who was diagnosed with PD 9 years ago.  All my adult
life I had had no problem sleeping.  Then 5 years ago suddenly I developed
insomnia.  For a while I could control it with Melatonin but that soon
failed.  My neurologist is at the Mayo Clinic here in Jacksonville, and he
referred me to Mayo's sleep clinic.  The doctor there determined my problems
were not due to poor sleep habits but to a chemical deficiency in the brain
caused by the PD.  He tried me on three different prescription medications,
all of which made me sick.  Then last October he prescribed 15mg of Remeron
90 to120 minutes before bedtime.  The Remeron worked well but as you are
finding out, it leaves you drugged until 10:00 or 11:00 the next morning.
Then I tried 1/2 of the 15mg tablet and that works most nights.  I still
occasionally have a bad night and when I do I usually take a full tablet the
next night.

About 20% of the time I find I have trouble going to sleep (once I get to
sleep I do OK.)  On those nights when I find I am still not asleep after 60
to 90 minutes, I get up and take a Melatonin 3mg.  This nearly always puts me
to sleep and then the Remeron takes over.

Hope this is of some help.

Bill Butch
Jacksonville, Fla.