PROCLAMATION;

WHEREAS:  Parkinson's Disease is a brain disorder that usually affects adults over 40, although it can appear in younger patients and
WHEREAS:    More individuals suffer from Parkinson's Disease than multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy and Lou Gerhrigs Disease combined, and
WHEREAS:   According to the APDA, there are approximately 1.5 million people diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease; and
WHEREAS:  The symptoms of Parkinson's Disease ---stillness, tremor, slownes, poor movement and difficulty with balance and speaking are often mistaken as a normal part of the aging process; and
WHEREAS:  The cause of this disease is unknown and anti-parkinsonian drug can only control some of the systems of Parkinson's Disease for a short period of time
NOW THEREFORE:   I , Troy A.Childers, Sr, Mayor of the city of Chillicothe,Illinois, do hereby proclaim April 30th, 2000 as
                        Parkinson's Disease Awareness Day
in the City of Chillicothe, Illinois and urges all citizens to extend their suppot for those struggeling with Parkinson's Disease and the loved ones trying to help fight the battle.

This is a copy of the Proclamation Decree that I was presented last night at the City Council meeting.
The mayor also shared with everyone the death of his favorite uncle (& my friend) from complications from Parkinson's Disease and another councilman, a dear friend of mine told of his father having the disease and my work to bring Parkinson's Disease Advocacy from a local level to my work on the internet making it a truly international committment. It was a heart-warming display of affection in a town where I have worked to remain visible and a great way to start the media coverage leading up to my Parkinson's Disease Awareness Day in the Park. I hope to raise not only awareness but also money for the Parkinson Alliance. Please contact me off-list for details or ideas to have this kind of event in your town.

--
Joan E. Snyder    48/10
<http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/snyder.htm>