Murray Charters wrote:
> I know my PD  & meds react much better to Borscht for lunch than they do
> to almost any sandwich...  I know some things tend to block the effects of
> our meds (excess protein in a Tuna Melt for instance) but does the Borscht
> enhance the way my meds work?
> Does the overall number of PWP per 100,000 vary substantially based on the
> prevailing *diet* of the population in certain geographical areas?
> Kathrynne? Your opinion, please...

Murray, there are a few studies that have tried to determine whether
there is a dietary component in the etiology of PD, but nothing definite
at all. With regard to the action of PD meds, I have found that slowed
stomach emptying and constipation are likely to be at the root of
delayed "kick-in" of PD meds, and I understand from the Sinemet product
information that large amounts of highly acidic foods and/or high-iron
foods or supplements can interfere with levodopa. And some foods, like
carbonated drinks, fruit juices, appear to enhance levodopa absorption,
at least for some people (I have clients that unfortunately don't find
any benefit from these foods).
Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/