Mary Ann Ryan wrote:
> Hmmmmm, Kathryn, this is a *very* interesting observation.  I'm wondering if
> anyone has done studies on 'stomach emptying' problems in the PD population.
> Is the autonomic nervous system  affected by PD I wonder?

Yes, there are a number of studies on slowed peristalsis, gastroparesis,
etc.; I believe it was at first thought this was due to the meds,
however, later studies speculate that this slowing of the ANS is part of
the PD progression. I have to leave right now so can't go into further
detail; however, there is definitely research in this area, and I would
like to see much more done.
Best,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/