From:                   "Ervin McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re:      Glutathione
Date sent:              Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:16:32 -0800

> Hello Dr. Fink. I hope you're having a good day.  I would like to ask a
> question about glutathione IV injections.  I am wondering if you have a
> knowledge of its usage. A Dr. Perlmutter of Naples FL and a doctor
> Whitaker from California have been using it since 1998 and are making
> miraculous claims. I have seen a video documenting the changes in four of
> Dr. Perlmutter's patients. Dr. Whitaker states "L:-dopa is far from ideal.
>  It has undesirable side effects, including severe nausea, dizziness, and
> in some cases liver damage. Its effectiveness diminishes overtime, and the
> drug itself increases the generation of free radicals that worsen the
> disease in the long run." I would appreciate any comments from you.

There is no scientific evidence that glutathione has any benefit in
Parkinson's disease.  Dr. Perlmutter, from what I have heard, is also
"into" other "cures" which have not been substantiated by traditional
academic institutions.

What you wrote above (about L-Dopa) is generally correct as far as its
tendency to lose its effectiveness over time.  As this occurs, the dose
gets increased, and the side-effects (which are not usually a problem
early on) increase.  As to "free radicals", that is something which
hucksters of nonscientific treatments have been talking about for
years.  While free radicals are thought to exist chemically, they have
never been shown to be present in human tissues.

L-Dopa has been a godsend for the treatment of PD.  It is not,
however, a "cure".  Until we understand how this disease truly
develops, we will not have a "cure", and we will have to use various
methods for its control.  In the meantime, until we have the "answer",
there will be those who try to make a buck off of people who are
looking for relief.

I recently became embroiled in a minor flame war on another List (one
that deals with brain tumors) when I made negative comments
regarding some bogus "cancer cures".  I found a wonderful statement
on the value of science on another List.  It was not listed as
copyrighted, and so, I am going to post it in a separate message which
I will send after this one.  I think that it says much about this subject.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"