Bob,

Your essay by Dr. Joe Schwartz on the nature of science arrived immediately
after a note from a librarian at the University of Baltimore Law Library
which reported the following medical incident:

A wild-eyed man dressed in a Napoleonic costume and hiding his
right hand inside his coat entered the psychiatrist's office and nervously
exclaimed, "Doctor, I need your help right away."

"I can see that," retorted the doctor. "Lie down on that couch and
tell me your problem."

"I don't have any problem," the man snapped. "In fact, as Emperor
of France I have everything I could possibly want: money, women,
power -- everything! But I'm afraid my wife, Josephine, is in deep mental
trouble."

"I see," said the psychiatrist, humoring his distraught patient. "And
what seems to be her main problem?"

"For some strange reason," answered the unhappy man, "she
thinks she's 'Mrs. Schwartz.'"

++++++ I seriously doubt that the two apparently Schwartz males are really
one and the same, but one can speculate.

        Science is supposed to be knowledge obtained by careful observation and
study systemized into an orderly body of learning or discipline.

        Unfortunately when error, whether intentional or accidental, is admitted
into the literature by a recognized authority, it can very difficult to
purge the system of that misinformation as more and more researchers
reinforce the error by making that error a part of their research premise.

        Science is compiled by people, and people are fallible.

        Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road
Salisbury MD 21804 USA 410-543-0110     .